Monday, December 8, 2008

Re: Scheduling

We're currently using FET (Free Educational Timetabling) to explore
schedules in our high school, but the software was originally designed
for grade schools.

The upsides are:
1. The program is free: http://lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/
2. It's quite good at what it does...quite good.

The downsides:
1. It's free, open source, and written by computer scientists, so it
takes some tech savvy to get it running.
2. It's written by Europeans and English is not their first language
(they're German, I think) so the documentation is, well, interesting.
3. You also have to translate European school terminology into American.

So, there's a learning curve, but you can't beat the price!

-Baker

On Dec 7, 2008, at 11:57 AM, Jennifer Arnest wrote:

> Dear ISED-L colleagues,The San Francisco Friends School is
> interested in
> learning about creative models, programs and software people have
> used when
> creating schedules for K-8 schools. We share many spaces and even some
> teachers between the lower school and the middle school. Im
> interested in
> learning about K-4 models, primarily, and also any software folks
> have found
> useful. We have been using Excel, which I find cumbersome for
> scheduling.
> Thanks for your input,
> Jennifer Arnest
> SFFS
> ISED-L@listserv.syr.edu
> --
> Jennifer McGann Arnest
> K-4 Academic Dean
> San Francisco Friends School
> (415) 565-0400 x139
> MWTH 9:30-2:30
> T 10-5

Baker Franke
Computer Science Dept.
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools
773.702.5419