Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Re: A question about citing sources

Hi Karen,

We have worked on this issue as well and our curriculum guides are
similar to previous posts. It is nice to know that we are all working
through this and it is helpful to bounce what we doing off of others.=20

Our students visit predetermined, teacher-directed internet websites
from PreK-3rd grade. In 2nd grade they begin using our online
circulation system and we begin instruction with online resources(such
as Grolier Online) in 3rd grade.

4th Graders are introduced to student-directed internet research,
copyright and the value to created works. The citation requirement for
4th graders is the website address.

The citation requirement for 5th graders include both the website
address and the website name.

The citation requirement for 6th graders includes the website address,
website name and date accessed. We also begin using the online citation
generator bibme for full MLA format. Website evaluation skills,
copyright, created works and plagiarism concepts are also introduced in
6th grade.

7th graders continue with the full MLA format fully implemented using
Bibme.

Skills in search concepts and techniques, online data resources,
independent student note taking, data organization, file management,
copyright, honor code, plagiarism, website evaluation and full MLA
format are taught and expected by the completion of 8th grade.

We continue in upperschool with the MLA format but like you, work on
integrating a multitude of electronic resources with our 1:1 program.
Our 9th graders are still required to purchase a Harbrace handbook to
use throughout US. I think our AP Science teacher requires APA format
but it is not required as part of our required technology skill set for
graduation.

The head of our English dept. really likes Easybib because it works well
for graphics. There are several online citation generators that are easy
to use. We also used Noodle Tools for a few years. (You may want to
review Carmun, Citation Machine, Ottobib and Bibomatic) I haven't look
at Refworks or Endnote.=20
Some of my favorite sites used in our digital literacy lessons are
listed below.

Copyright and Fair Use Information- http://fairuse.stanford.edu/=20
US Copyright Office - www.loc.gov/copyright=20
Easybib - http://www.easybib.com/