Saturday, December 6, 2008

Re: Digital Portfolios

Interesting.
It's not a bad idea, I think portfolios should be managed with online
software. But let me suggest that a content management system (CMS)
that can handle media and different content types would be a better
route than traditional blog software.

Drupal comes to mind but there are others that will work.

- The idea is that the 'blog' is just one aspect of the portfolio.
- multi-user (many teachers to many students) support is better
- better security and permissions control
- better workflow - what happens after a particular type of content is
submitted? Does it go through an approval process, can it be modified
afterwords?
- potentially superior integration with school SIS as you can add
modules to talk to your CMS that talks to your school database software

Kind regards,
Ernest Koe
The Proof Group LLC/edSocialMedia.com