Monday, December 15, 2008

Re: Moodle Version & Add-ons

1. What version are you using?

1.9.2 +

2. What add-ons do you have installed?

Curvy Corners Theme, CourseUploader, Podcasting Module....

3. How are you currently using it within your school?

We essentially use it as our intranet and LMS. Many clubs, athletic
teams, and committees have courses set up on Moodle. Important
announcements and other useful info is posted to the main page. We are
working on a Moodle course that will serve as Self Help Tech Support
with flash tutorials. Every class we offer also has a corresponding
Moodle course.

4. What requirements do you have for its use?

We have been running Moodle for about 6 years. This is the first year
we have required all faculty to use it. The minimum requirement is that
a course description and syllabus be posted for each course. Most have
gone beyond the minimum.

5. Do you allow outside access (parents/public)?

We allow outside access to the main page but no further.

6. What is your Moodle server running on?

Windows 2003 Server running IIS

7. Do you host it yourself or do you have it outsourced?

Host it ourselves.

8. Do you handle support

We deal with support in house. There really isn't much support needed
if it is on a reliable system and the software is properly installed.
On occasion a database table gets corrupted but that is almost always
easily fixed with: mysqlcheck -u moodleuser -p --auto-repair moodle

* please consider the environment before printing this email
=20
Aaron Mandel
Manager of Information Systems
The Governor's Academy
1 Elm St.=20
Byfield, MA 01922
(o)978-499-3219
(c)978-853-2415
www.thegovernorsacademy.org

If you are currently using Moodle at your school would you mind =20
sharing the following (our answers are included):

1. What version are you using?
2. What add-ons do you have installed?
3. How are you currently using it within your school?
4. What requirements do you have for it's use?
5. Do you allow outside access (parents/public)?
6. What is your Moodle server running on?
7. Do you host it yourself or do you have it outsourced?
8. Do you handle support?

Our answers are:

1. What version are you using?

1.6.5, but upgrading to 1.9.2 over winter break

2. What add-ons do you have installed?

Turnitin.com and a few themes... will be adding some math filters with =20
the upgrade.

3. How are you currently using it within your school?

We have all of our class/course in 4-12 online, our primary school is =20
using it extensively as well. All of our schools administrative =20
committees as well as Board level committees have "course". School =20
clubs and activities have spaces if they wish. One of our biggest =20
uses is in professional development.

4. What requirements do you have for it's use?

Classroom teachers (4-12) are required to post homework and assignments.

5. Do you allow outside access (parents/public)?

No. We only allow access to faulty and students. Those Board members =20
using Moodle have only access to the "courses" they are enrolled in.

6. What is your Moodle server running on?

Linux CentOS rack mounted server.

7. Do you host it yourself or do you have it outsourced?

Hosted on-site.

8. Do you handle support?

Support is handled by Remote-Leaner.net

William D. Stites, Jr.