Friday, December 12, 2008

Re: Student printing in classrooms

It is easier on the Tech Team to have more centralized printing, but it
is much more supportive of the teachers and students if you can have
printing available in each classroom.

I have worked in both environments, and I found that requiring students
to go outside the classroom to a centralized printer caused loss class
time. It was also harder for the classroom teacher to troubleshoot
printer issues (jams, adding paper, making sure there was ink, etc.) if
the printer was not in their classroom. In addition, the "centralized"
printers were usually in a particular teacher's classroom, and then
there was the disruption to that teacher having students in and out all
day picking up printouts.

At my current location, we have a black and white, networked laser
printer in each classroom. We have a color laser printer in each
building. (Our buildings are small, covering only 4-6 classrooms.) The
black and white laser printers are generally close to the teacher's
desk. The color laser printers are located in a classroom in the center
of a building as close to the entrance door as possible, to reduce
disruption when students come in to pick up printouts.

This works well in that students can quickly print in black and white.
If a printer is having problems for some reason, they can print to the
printer in the next room (discouraged but allowed for emergencies).
Color printing is reduced because it requires them to go out of the
class to get their printouts, so the teachers tend to wait until the
final copy to have them do color.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School