Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Re: A question about citing sources

We use MLA citation for grades 5-12. We face some of the same challenges
you mention, but we also find that an emphasis on process (teachers
collecting drafts, giving feedback over time, etc.) has helped us strike
the balance between holding MS students responsible and holding their feet
to the fire, as you put it.

Our 9-12 English Dept. has, over the past few years, developed a series of
lessons we use to teach academic integrity every year. Among other
things, one lesson includes asking students to intentionally commit
certain kinds of plagiarism, explain what makes each example plagiarism in
their own words, and then correct each example. This program had reduced
the overall number of incidents of plagiarism in our Upper School
dramatically, but perhaps even more importantly, it has eliminated the "I
didn't know" or "I didn't understand" back and forth with the handful of
students who have been caught. If you would like to contact me directly,
I'd be happy to forward our materials to you. I am sure they could be
adapted for MS use. This program is not a silver bullet, but in 13 years
of teaching, it's the best system I've worked with for this thorny issue.

Good luck,
Liz Perry

Liz Perry
Berkeley Carroll School