Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Re: Network devices for identifying 'malware' traffic

Is this for a network you control with clients you manage? I haven't found=
a web gateway filter that can do as good of a job as ESET NOD32 running on=
your desktop PCs. It has its own HTTP sniffing engine, as well as typical=
client-based antivirus features, and it blocks just about every spyware it=
em I can throw at it. ESET also has a gateway antivirus product that's des=
igned to run on top of Squid running on Linux, although I imagine it takes =
a bit of technical expertise to implement.

ESET has very aggressive non-profit / EDU pricing and a great centralized m=
anagement console. Their only weakness, IMO, is their Exchange product - t=
he interface is very rudimentary but the detection is still strong.

---
Steven Dickenson <sdickenson@keyschool.org>
Computer Network Manager
The Key School, Annapolis Maryland