Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Re: 1:1 and home support

We are also a 1:1 boarding school, but with a small number of students
living at home. For the past three years we have been sending out a
document to students and parents titled "Home for the Holidays or how to
stay connected to your school." This has reduced many questions, but
not solved all, especially home WiFi connectivity issues. We are using
a VPN to access our internal network which allows for a consistent
access point to the campus. We still get calls from local, distant, and
even overseas parents on issues and have had extended calls and even
Skype sessions to solve some configuration problems. Fortunately, these
have been few in number. Even so, I think it is the IT Department's
responsibility to make sure students are connected to allow teachers to
feel confident that electronic communication and assignments are not
being selectively available to students.

Last year, due to a demand from local parents, I offered all parents a
one-time, limited timeframe, opportunity to visit their homes to set up
their student's computer to access their home network and gain access to
the campus network. I only had two requests, but the goodwill generated
by these visits was well worth it. Even with those families that did
not take up the offer were more likely to make sure their child
communicated with me if they had problems hooking in. This year, I made
the offer during orientation week, but have had no takers. I plan on
continuing this practice going forward.

Regards,

David

David R. Mandel, Ph.D.