Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Re: Parallels Server for Mac Experiences

Parallels Server does in fact support virtualization of Mac OS X, as well a=
s Windows and Linux, but it runs as a service / daemon on top of OS X. It'=
s not bare metal like VMware ESX and some versions of Xen. Parallels Conta=
iners (nee Virtuozzo) is OS-level virtualization and indeed only supports L=
inux and Windows. Our initial explorations with server virtualization bega=
n with Virtuozzo for Windows about 2 years ago, but I didn't feel its hyper=
visor model was sufficient for our environment. It also had a sort of "bla=
ck-magic" feel to how it worked, and I frequently encountered issues with i=
nstalling Windows patches or applications that could make the entire server=
unstable. After about 6 months with it, we moved to VMware ESX, and event=
ually moved our entire server environment to VMware Infrastructure.

---
Steven Dickenson <sdickenson@keyschool.org>
Computer Network Manager
The Key School, Annapolis Maryland