Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Re: AP Computer Science

RE: "computer science majors have dropped over the past two decades"

Additionally, the field of computer science changes rapidly, to the point where it's difficult to keep track of it using print --

For example, see http://blog.wolfram.com/2008/12/01/the-incredible-convenience-of-mathematica-image-processing/

Is this math? Computer science? Graphic design? All three, or something else entirely?

And I agree, it's difficult to for schools to find subject-matter experts for these topics. But, do we really need that? I'd argue that we need people who have a solid foundation, and can identify and organize useful resources that help students learn what's current.

Cheers,

Bill