Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Re: AP Computer Science

Another way to look at this is to ask the question...Why AP Computer Scienc=
e? As independent schools, we are often quick to subscribe to a national cu=
rriculum. Looking that the AP computer science program, why offer the class=
?

Being involved in educational technology research at the University of Nort=
h Texas, we are often in need of bits of code for projects we are developin=
g. While we all have some programming background, virtually none of us want=
to spend the time writing code. Why? Because this is something we can outs=
ource. If you look at the trends surrounding program development, the codin=
g is often outsourced while the big ideas are developed by those who are wo=
rking in creative environments. In many ways, we outsource our coding in th=
e same way that typing was outsourced to typing pools. While not exactly th=
e same, basic coding skills are similar in application to the way typing po=
ols worked in days of old. The amount of programming that is now outsourced=
to China and India is amazing. We usually outsource to an undergraduate st=
udent.

We need our students to develop critical, creative and collaborative proble=
m solving skills. The process of learning how to program is an important sk=
ill as it is another way to think creatively. But ask yourself; is this bes=
t done in a rigid AP Computer Science curriculum? I can think of many creat=
ive ways we could help our students develop the skills needed to thrive in =
world that they are entering. Programming would be very helpful as a tool s=
et. But why not wrap it in the context of real-world problem solving? Why n=
ot place it in context rather than creating another knowledge silo?

If I ran the world, I would not worry about the AP designation for a comput=
er class and instead, focus on hiring the most creative teacher I could fin=
d to develop and teach a collaborative problem-solving course that involved=
programming as well as global collaboration. For those that just have to t=
ake an AP computer class, I would outsource that to on online environment o=
r better yet, suggest that the student take a course at the nearest college=
as a junior or senior and receive actual college credit.

My 2 cents...

Cheers,

Chris Bigenho

Chris Bigenho