Thursday, December 18, 2008

Re: Student Exchange Program to England

I worked for AFS over twenty years ago. It was and is one of the most reputable exchange programs for high school age students. Other organizations include YFU (Youth for Understanding) and Rotary International. School Year Abroad is also very reputable,
but I think considerably more expensive than these other programs, although all have various financial aid possibilities.

I would encourage any student interested in a year abroad to broaden their horizons and not just assume that England, France or Germany for instance are where they want to spend their time. When I worked at AFS, the countries where students had the most
enriching, hospitable and life changing experiences were Turkey, Honduras and Thailand. Very few of the US students who ended up there chose those countries on their "wish list."

Hope this helps.

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:

>On Dec 18, 2008, at 2:34 PM, Dorcas Hand wrote:
>
>> I would look at AFS, though they don't focus on England. I have
>> hosted a Czech girl through AFS and been very impressed with the
>> total organization.
>>
>> http://www.afs.org/afs_or/home
>>
>> I don't remember what afs stands for, but afs will work as a google
>> search.
>
>American Field Service.
>
>Another organization providing this type of service is School Year
>Abroad, although they also don't have a program in the UK.
>
>There are several organizations out there that arrange these types of
>learning opportunities. The key is to go with a reputable program that
>has an established program and comes with plenty of references from
>other schools.
>
>Cheers,
>

>Corn Walker
>The Proof Group
>http://proofgroup.com/
>
>[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
>RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

Lynn Sanborne, MSW

Middle School and Senior School Counselor

Sewickley Academy

315 Academy Avenue

Sewickley, PA 15143

tel: 412-741-2230 ext. 3363