Saturday, December 6, 2008

Re: Digital Portfolios

I think we are just starting to see how online-digital portfolios can
be a credible alternative (or complement) to traditional grades +
comments assessment.

- You have the ability to provide interdisciplinary review/feedback
- as suggested below, you shift the culture from one of "test-and-
grade" to "create-review-revise-publish"
- it promotes learning as a process and community-driven (parents are
directly involved)
- combined with subject matter assessments, you can start to map
student work-product to any 'testing' one does over the lifetime of
the student
- it is transparent (or could be)

Thanks for brining this up, Fred. Following this with keen interest.

Ernest Koe