Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Re: LoJack for Computers

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:27:17 -0500, Juan Jewell
<jewell.juan@paideiaschool.org> wrote:

>Have any of you had experience with software designed to track a stolen
>computer, such as Macphonehome or Computrace?

We used Computrace a number of years back and it worked well. We stopped
because we just couldn't justify the cost. It cost us $15K - $20K per year
to cover our 750 laptops and we just don't lose enough laptops to justify
the cost of the software/service. If Computrace offered more financially
attractive ($10/laptop/year) and easier to manage terms for covering a fleet
we would be a customer again. Instead, the pitch their asset management and
other value-added features to justify the cost but all we want is a laptop
recovery tool. Honestly, I don't think Computrace understands the K-12 market.

The other negative for us is that we regularly re-image and swap hard drives
(e.g. into loaner laptops) which was a significant headache with the old
version of Computrace. I have heard the newer version is less of a hassle,
but you should definitely make sure the software is compatible with the way
you manage your fleet and won't create a support headache. If I were you I
wouldn't take the sales person's word for it either. Rather, I would
thoroughly test the software in your environment using your procedures
committing to the purchase.

Tom Phelan
Peddie School