Sunday, December 14, 2008

Re: Powerschool and Raiser's Edge?

Hi.

We're running PowerSchool, and then use Raiser's Edge and Financial Edge. We
made the switch to PowerSchool about 9 months ago.

In September I made my first attempt at exporting demographic data from
PowerSchool and pulling it into Raiser's Edge. It wasn't pretty to say the
least. I ended up having to correct each of the records involved (+200) by
hand.

I have to make another attempt at the end of February, and I am not looking
forward to it.

PowerSchool and RE handle the data in different ways. With PowerSchool, all
the demographic data (which is all that we're interested in transferring) is
tied to the Student ID number ("student_number" is the field name). So with
any imports into PowerSchool, the only required field is the
"student_number" field. However, from what I read in one of the RE guides, a
different field is required for each different type of import that you do.

I got in trouble because what was tied to one field in PowerSchool was tied
to different fields in RE depending on what the data was.

I'm in a situation where failure to get the two talking really is not an
option, so I'll be fighting with the two again in February.

Both Pearson and Blackbaud say that they'll talk to each other, but neither
one tells you how or is willing to work with you on it.

I know it's possible, I just haven't figured it out yet. My knowledge is
more on the PowerSchool side since that is the bulk of my workload.

+++Jeff