Friday, August 8, 2008

Re: What to do with former faculty email accounts?

We also delete all former accounts/vm/email on August 1. Voicemail is
deleted July 1st for staff since that is the beginning of the contract
year and new people start then. I like the idea of keeping email for
retirees...we have yet to face that situation.

sherry


Sherry Ward
Director of Technology
Alexandria Country Day School
2400 Russell Road
Alexandria, VA 22301
703-837-1317 (direct) sward@acdsnet.org

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for independent school educators
[mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Peter Gow
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 10:30 AM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: What to do with former faculty email accounts?

Ours are deleted on 8/1, unless the teacher requests an extension. I
assume this also goes for server access. I deactivate curriculum map
privileges around Labor Day, usually.

Don't know what happens to voicemail; assume the 8/1 deadline applies
there, too.

I am not aware of any specific rationale for the 8/1 deletion date for
email, but I guess I can sort of see the point, in general. Most
everyone
is going off to somewhere that will supply another address, and so
losing
ours would have a decluttering effect, even with automatic forwarding.

I think that in retirement I might like to retain membership in my last
school's e-community, but if and when I actually retire I may feel
differently; I know some people are eager to cut the cord at that point.
I
note that we have one retired teacher here for whom we maintain an email
account, even after 6 or 7 years, and I like that.

Cheers--Peter Gow

Peter Gow, Director of College Counseling and Special Programs
Beaver Country Day School
791 Hammond Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
www.bcdschool.org
Tel. 617-738-2755
FAX 617-738-2701
Skype: petergow3


[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L