Saturday, August 9, 2008

Re: What to do with former faculty email accounts?

It's fun reading the dialogue, but I must observe that my experience has
been that it is younger teachers, rather than veterans, who are less
likely to use school email when off campus. I also have noted, in what is
admittedly a small sample, that my younger colleagues are much less likely
to engage in extended email exchanges--or even to acknowledge receipt.
Think this may have to do with texting and other media being the preferred
modes of communication, but I confess to finding this frustrating at
times. Who knew that my penchant for email marks me as a fogey rather than
a hip old guy? (And even my first-gen iPhone feels fogey-ish, alas.)

Sounds like there's consensus on the list about the general concept of
giving folks who are changing jobs some time and then a cut-off and about
allowing retirees to keep school accounts, AUPs and all still being in
force, with a transition to gmail or the like as an alternative for
schools uncomfortable with maintaining school accounts for them.

But keep it going--it's fun.

Cheers--Peter Gow

Peter Gow, Director of College Counseling and Special Programs
Beaver Country Day School
791 Hammond Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
www.bcdschool.org
Tel. 617-738-2755
FAX 617-738-2701
Skype: petergow3


[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L