Saturday, August 9, 2008

Re: What to do with former faculty email accounts?

Ross, it's a combination of 1 and 2. In many cases where it was number 1, it
was because I, or another teacher who lived nearby, and was well-fed for his
or her efforts, went over that that same faculty member's house to help get
them out of being a case of number 2.

A lot of these veteran teachers (and a few administrators) only used email
and the Internet at school, and felt no need to pay out of their own pockets
for something that would just be another tether to work. I can understand
that totally. There is something to be said for being unreachable at times,
something which the cell phone generation doesn't get (Used to be I could go
on vacation for two weeks and not hear from anyone unless *I called them*.
Now they're calling me while I'm on the Cape May Ferry.).

So yes, in the cases of the veteran teachers who had no home internet
service, but expressed an interest in it, I often went over to finish
setting things up after the ISP people left; doing things like setting up
the computer so it went to the services they wanted with just one or two
clicks, etc. I must admit that the advent of ISP-independent services like
Gmail has made it much easier for me to set up email accounts for people
like this, so that when they switch from one ISP to another, they don't have
alert everyone to the change in email address. But even then, there's a
learning curve as they go from steps they knew for using the school system
to the steps they'll have to learn on Gmail or Yahoo.

And of course, this even assumed that those veteran teachers had computers
of their own at home in the first place!

--

keg

Keith E Gatling
mailto:keith@gatling.us
http://www.gatling.us/keith
The fact that I'm open-minded doesn't mean that I have to agree with you.