Sunday, August 31, 2008

listetiquette

Hello ISEDers,

I felt like some of the responses to yesterday's question about USB =
drives were worded in a manner that may have made the person asking the =
question feel a bit put off. While I know that was not the intent, I =
think it bears reminding that text-based communication can be =
interepreted in whatever tone is in the reader's mind, and it's good to =
think about how we communicate in this medium. I think it's great that =
several took the time to respond to the question, and I agreed with most =
of the comments, but also think it's good that the question was posed =
because we do need to think about the various ramifications of =
everything we do.

I just finished teaching an online grad class in which several times =
during the semester students [who are teachers] emailed the entire class =
with messages that would have been better coveyed either privately or =
via voice (skype or phone.) I was really surprised that these teachers =
didn't recognize how forceful (and potentially hurtful) their words were =
in this medium. Most teachers I know are nurturing, caring, vibrant =
people, but this experience brought home to me that text-based =
communication contantly leaves us open to multiple interpretations and =
the potential for impacting people's feelings. Just my $.02 on this =
wonderful labor day weekend.

Demetri
BGA
Franklin, TN


[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L