Monday, August 18, 2008

Re: Faculty laptop agreements

Hi Emily,
=20
I'm not sure how useful this will be, but it is what we use for =
departments (all laptops go out through the department rather than =
technology here). I've attached the Science department agreement as it =
is the one that goes into more detail I feel.
=20
Anne
=20
The American School of El Salvador
San Salvador, El Salvador
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Science Department Addendum to Acceptable Use Policy

...adopted September, 2005

Re: Laptops in Science Department

=20

The faculty and administration recognize the increasingly important role =
that technology plays in education. Technology is becoming especially =
important in science and in science laboratories. Data collection and =
analysis are greatly simplified through the use of probes and computers. =
In support of the science department, the Technology Committee has =
purchased laptops for use by teachers and students in their study of =
science. In order to make the best use of this technology and insure =
its safety, the science department will abide by the following rules:

=20

1. Laptops are to be checked out only by teachers from the Department =
Head. Teachers may check out laptops for classroom and lab use. Laptops =
may be picked up from the Department Head at 7:30 AM and should be =
returned by 3:30 PM unless alternate arrangements have been made =
beforehand.

=20

2. The teacher who has checked out the laptops is solely responsible to =
insure their protection from damage and theft. While the school has =
purchased insurance to cover the laptops, if it is determined that the =
negligence of the teacher has caused the damage or theft, then the =
teacher shall pay the deductible.

=20

3. Teachers must instruct the students in the careful and proper use of =
the laptops. The laptops and the probeware are delicate and must be =
treated with care.

=20

4. Teachers and students may access the internet through the wireless =
router that is provided with the laptops. The rules established for =
internet use by Escuela Americana apply in this case.

=20

5. Teachers may check out a laptop for use overnight. It is expected =
that the laptop will be returned to the Department Head by 7:30 AM with =
a fully charged battery ready to be used by other teachers or students =
during the first block of the day. Whenever a laptop will be taken =
outside school grounds, a special form must be filled and signed by the =
teacher in case it is stolen. (School grounds are defined as the Gym =
area down through the Lower School, but not the Complejo area). This is =
for insurance purposes.

=20

6. No individual students will be allowed to checkout a laptop. In the =
case that a student needs a laptop to complete an assignment given by a =
science teacher, the teacher must check out the laptop and is =
responsible to supervise the student use of the laptop in their =
classroom. =20

=20

7. All aspects of the Escuela Americana Acceptable Use Policy apply to =
use of the laptops in the science department.=20

=
=
=20

Teacher's Signature =