Monday, August 18, 2008

Re: wireless printer help

I have worked with mobile carts for about 10 years. I have found that
the less that is on the cart, and the more that is stationary (in a
building or classroom) the better everything works. =20

Carts get moved around and bumped and ... When I started, we had the
airport base station on the cart, and then you plugged it into an
Ethernet port in your room when you used the cart. Once we had
stationary WAPs, it was so much better.

The same seems to be true for printers. If you move the cart, and the
printer somehow loses connectivity, then you are constantly
troubleshooting it. (Like, you don't already have to spend time
troubleshooting printers :) )

Also, having a color printer on one cart, is, in my opinion, a really
bad idea. This cart will be more in demand than the other which will
cause scheduling issues.

What I would do is centrally locate the printers, and use Ethernet
rather than wireless for your printers if there is a drop near by you
can easily access. This will not only reduce the problems with the
printers, but teachers and students might actually think before
printing, reducing the amount of "garbage" that is printed out.

Renee Ramig
Director of Technology
Seven Hills School
=20
The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing. John
Powell