Friday, August 15, 2008

Re: Vista Easy Login??

There is a registry hack you should be able to do for this. I have
done this in the past with 2000 and XP. I will send it to you when I
find it again.

------------------------
Jonathan Mergy

On Aug 15, 2008, at 6:22 PM, "Renee
Ramig"<rramig@sevenhillsschool.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>
>
> We just bought new laptops for our 2nd - 3rd grade classroom cart
> and we
> are running Vista (from the Macs we had before). (Before anyone asks
> why, it was not my choice. Just working with the decisions that were
> made for me.)
>
>
>
> On the Macs, I just had them log in locally (clicking on a button with
> no password) and had the network folder mount automatically. So they
> never had to type any username or password.
>
>
>
> With Vista, if I put them on the domain, there doesn't seem to be
> anyway
> to get a list of users. (I ONLY do a login per class not per student,
> so there would only be four users - 2 for second and 2 for third grade
> since we have two classrooms in each grade.) However, if I make them
> local users (I can get a list of the four users and there doesn't have
> to be passwords). Then they can just click on their class to log in.
> However when they click on alias of the shared network folder I put on
> their desktop, they have to type in the class username and password.
> Not a big deal for you and me, but for 2nd graders, this can take up
> to
> 10 minutes of class time.
>
>
>
> Is there anyone out there using PCs (XP or Vista) in the K-3
> classrooms
> that require logins? How are you getting around this? Is there
> anyway
> to set it up with a list of users that they can just click on and
> still
> have a way to give them access to a shared server folder?
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
> Renee Ramig
>
> Director of Technology
>
> Seven Hills School
>
>
>
> The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing. John
> Powell
>
>
>
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
> attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L