Saturday, August 9, 2008

Re: What to do with former faculty email accounts?

Keith, I admit that my school may not be representative of the "real
world," and maybe I'm underestimating the number of teachers who don't
have Internet access at home. But concerning those teachers for whom
purchasing home Internet access would be an economic hardship, I suppose I
would quietly try to find a way to make it happen.

Actually, I'm thinking of situations like a a few consecutive snow days,
when it would be nice for a principal to be able to reach all of the
teachers in one fell swoop. And if something as awful as pandemic flu
ever happened, all of this would need to be in place well in advance, I
would think.

As a former IT/administrator type but currently just a civilian (i.e.,
regular teacher), I can see both sides on this one. But it seems to me
that teachers need to be nudged occasionally even at the risk of seeming
like an intrusion. Or else we run the risk of perpetually remaining behind
the corporate world in certain areas. I also realize that schools are
probably all over the lot on this one in actual practice.

Anyway, I suspect this discussion will become moot as new teachers get
hired and time marches on.

Ross Lenet (obviously with too much time on my hands)
Sidwell Friends School, Washington, DC

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L