Saturday, August 9, 2008

Re: What to do with former faculty email accounts?

Easy to do with new, youngish teachers who are already Internet junkies and
have service at home for their own use anyway. But how do you convince the
veteran teachers that they should pay out of their own pocket for an service
that's only going to be another tether to work (and we take enough of it
home with us as it is)? Do you offer to split the cost of the service with
them or even pay for the whole thing (while not letting other faculty
members know that you've cut this particular deal)? And suppose they don't
even own a computer at home. Do you buy them one?

And even if they're technically reachable at home via email, I'll be that
they won't be checking it every 20 minutes like I do. They might check it
once when they get home and once again before they go to bed.

And regarding the mozzarella sticks, I took the Cape May Ferry for the first
time when I was 15, in 1971, and they had really great food, bad for you,
but all deep fried right there on the boat. I particularly loved the fried
shrimp. When I took it 13 years later it was all institutionalized,
pre-wrapped, overpriced stuff that I've pretty much avoided since by
stopping at KFC first and bringing my own food on-board. But on your
recommendation, I'll give them another chance and try out their mozzarella
sticks next summer.

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Ross Lenet <lenet@patriot.net> wrote:

> Those are all great points, Keith. I'll say this though. If I were a
> principal and I had the freedom to add a few requirements to the contract,
> one would be that teachers should be reachable at home via email. It seems
> like an obvious way to nudge things forward.
>
> (By the way, the next time you are on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, try the
> mozzarella sticks.)
>

--

keg

========================================
Keith E Gatling
mailto:keith@gatling.us
http://www.gatling.us/keith
The fact that I'm open-minded doesn't mean that I have to agree with you.
========================================

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L