Friday, August 22, 2008

Re: wireless printer help

We are experimenting with Internet Printing (ip printing). I don't know
much about it except that it allows me, using my wireless tablet, to
select a printer over the internet and install a connection to that
printer in My Printers area via the web. The connection stays
installed, just like a regular printer, in my Printers control panel.
Then when I want to print, if I haven't set it as default already, I
select that printer (whose name includes http://printername...) and it
prints. There is a slight lag sometimes but barely noticeable
difference from wired printing. It works well once you have it
installed. We run into some glitches doing the installation, but once
you get it there it is very reliable. That way we print to all our
regular networked lab printers from our wireless machines and don't have
to cable anything. Because the printers are on the network they can be
remotely viewed for maintenance reports, toner/paper volume, etc. We
let the people and computers move around but keep the printers
stationary. Since we're moving to MFP printers soon, that is a must.

Hope this (vague) info is somewhat useful.=20

Vi