Friday, August 8, 2008

Re: Teacher Databases

Lisa:

I suggest that you add FileMaker Pro to that list.

Dropping an Excel spreadsheet onto FileMaker Pro will instantly solve
several of your problems, with almost no work.

1. The file will be a database (which it should be) and not a
spreadsheet.
2. The file is now networkable, Mac or PC, with or without a server.
(Every copy of FileMaker will serve files to a small number of clients.)
3. The file can be web served by clicking one button, and multiple
privileges can be set up. This is called Instant Web Publishing (IWP).

With some more work/expertise/cost:

1. The file can be "connected/integrated" with many things, including
other FileMaker databases or other SQL, MySQL or Oracle databases.
2. The file can be "normalized" so that it more flexibly stores
information like multiple workshops, multiple degrees, multiple years/
assignments etc.
3. The file can be expanded to a full php/FMP web solution with quite
robust features. (called phpSite Assistant) or you can use other more
robust tools to make a very professional php/FMP site.

My guess is that there exist some Teacher/HR templates out there
already that are available free.

If you are considering getting a "free" system, and then spending 2-5K
to hire a consultant to fix the "free" system, I recommend you look at
FileMaker as another alternative to "free".

Best of luck in your project.

Kevin

On Aug 8, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Lisa Sjogren wrote:

> Since we are on the topic of 'student information systems' and
> 'faculty
> management' I am curious of your take on this topic.
>
> I am looking for an idea on how we can manage 400+ teachers.
>
> Currently, we use an excel database with filters. The file has
> become quite
> large, with several tabs, and it is difficult to find locate specific
> information. If a teacher changes room/location/phone number we have
> manually change the information in our excel document. It would be
> nice if
> this database would give the teacher that ability to change that
> information.
>
> Additionally, it would be nice the database to be online, with secure
> access, and easily exportable to an excel file or a csv file. Allowing
> teacher to view their professional development which they have taken
> and
> possibly upcoming courses.
>
> Ideas tossed around include Access, Moodle, Zoho Creator and
> OpenCentre.
> However, I am open to additional ideas.
>
> Thanks,
> Lisa