Saturday, August 9, 2008

Re: What to do with former faculty email accounts?

True, this will become moot as new teachers get hired. The proportion of
teachers I know who don't have their own account elsewhere is really small
now. Some, like me use Gmail to suck in all of their email into one place
for "one stop shopping," while others like to keep work and school separate.

Either way, transitioning this group of people from a school email address
to their own, when they leave for one reason or another will be very easy,
and a 90-day overlap period should be just fine. That's what I did when I
was switching ISPs, kept the old one for 90 days, with an autoreply saying
that my address had changed, and this one was going away on mm/dd, but the
message had been forwarded. Anyone who hasn't contacted me in three months
probably isn't big on my contact list.

And unless things have changed since I left the "real world" 16 years ago
(which even then was at a university), when you leave an employer, your
email address is usually cut off 30 seconds after you walk out the door. I'm
pretty sure that my Syracuse University email address was cut off as of July
1, 1992. But even then I had my own email address through another provider.
I suspect that we're a little more lenient about keeping email addresses in
PreK-12 education. Or at least about allowing people to transition.

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Ross Lenet <lenet@patriot.net> wrote:

> Keith, I admit that my school may not be representative of the "real
> world," and maybe I'm underestimating the number of teachers who don't have
> Internet access at home. But concerning those teachers for whom purchasing
> home Internet access would be an economic hardship, I suppose I would
> quietly try to find a way to make it happen.
>
> Actually, I'm thinking of situations like a a few consecutive snow days,
> when it would be nice for a principal to be able to reach all of the
> teachers in one fell swoop. And if something as awful as pandemic flu ever
> happened, all of this would need to be in place well in advance, I would
> think.
>
> As a former IT/administrator type but currently just a civilian (i.e.,
> regular teacher), I can see both sides on this one. But it seems to me that
> teachers need to be nudged occasionally even at the risk of seeming like an
> intrusion. Or else we run the risk of perpetually remaining behind the
> corporate world in certain areas. I also realize that schools are probably
> all over the lot on this one in actual practice.
>
> Anyway, I suspect this discussion will become moot as new teachers get
> hired and time marches on.
>
> --

keg

Keith E Gatling
mailto:keith@gatling.us
http://www.gatling.us/keith
The fact that I'm open-minded doesn't mean that I have to agree with you.