Saturday, August 30, 2008

Re: Time-limiting software

Jenni,
In the May edition of our ChildrenOnline.org newsletter we discussed a
variety of parental control software. This included time-limiting
software. The free newsletter is available in pdf form on our website,
ChildrenOnline.org. The links, however, will not work.

Here is a link for directions on setting up the time-limiting feature in
OS X 10.5:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2659/os_x_leopard_parental_controls_limit_computer_usage_times

Regards,
Doug Fodeman
ChildrenOnline.org

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:22:00 -0400
>From: Jennifer Voorhees <voorheesj@sidwell.edu>
>Subject: time-limiting software for home computers
>
>I've just had this interesting question from a parent and wondered if
>the software she is seeking exists and is kid-proof enough to be
>effective.
>
>Thanks.
>Jenni Voorhees, Sidwell Friends School
>
>The request:
>I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for Mac based time
>management software.
>The primary purpose of the software we would like is to shut down the
>internet at a certain time every night- something simple like a timer. =20
> (We don't need some of the fancy nanny minder software out there.)

Douglas Fodeman
Director of Technology
Brookwood School
Manchester, MA 01944