Friday, August 8, 2008

Re: What to do with former faculty email accounts?

Ours are deleted on 8/1, unless the teacher requests an extension. I
assume this also goes for server access. I deactivate curriculum map
privileges around Labor Day, usually.

Don't know what happens to voicemail; assume the 8/1 deadline applies
there, too.

I am not aware of any specific rationale for the 8/1 deletion date for
email, but I guess I can sort of see the point, in general. Most everyone
is going off to somewhere that will supply another address, and so losing
ours would have a decluttering effect, even with automatic forwarding.

I think that in retirement I might like to retain membership in my last
school's e-community, but if and when I actually retire I may feel
differently; I know some people are eager to cut the cord at that point. I
note that we have one retired teacher here for whom we maintain an email
account, even after 6 or 7 years, and I like that.

Cheers--Peter Gow

Peter Gow, Director of College Counseling and Special Programs
Beaver Country Day School
791 Hammond Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
www.bcdschool.org
Tel. 617-738-2755
FAX 617-738-2701
Skype: petergow3


[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L