Friday, August 8, 2008

Re: Teacher Databases

I would suggest one of the open source student information systems, and
I would suggest Centre over OpenCentre. OpenCentre does look better,
but it has a longer history on being open source. Anyway, OpenCentre is
Centre, just dolled up a bit.

You can also get schedules, room numbers, etc and just use Excel (or
better yet OpenOffice) to download the teacher information from the user
table in MySQL!

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 10:23 -0500, Lisa Sjogren wrote:

> I am looking for an idea on how we can manage 400+ teachers.
>=20
> Currently, we use an excel database with filters. The file has become qui=
te
> large, with several tabs, and it is difficult to find or locate specific
> information.l If a teacher changes room/location/phone number we have to
> manually change the information in our excel document. It would be nice i=
> this database would give the teacher the ability to change that informati=
on.
>=20
> Additionally, it would be nice if the database was online, with secure
> access, and easily exportable to an excel file or a csv file. Also if it
> allows teachers to view their professional development which they have ta=
ken
> and possibly upcoming courses.
>=20
> Ideas tossed around include Access, Moodle, Zoho Creator and OpenCentre.
> However, I am open to additional ideas.
>=20
> Thanks,
> Lisa
>=20
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President
Impari Systems, Inc.