Monday, May 3, 2010

Re: What Content Filtering Software do you use?

Like Bill, we use Postini for email. It is about $1 per mailbox per
month. It catches about 95% of all spam. There is an offsite mailbox
teachers can log into to check their spam although most never do. If I
ever need certain addresses black or white listed for the entire school,
I just email my provider and ask them to do that. (Some Postini
providers have tech logons, so the tech can do this. My company does
not offer that.) Individual users can go in and white / black list
their own email addresses, but again, almost nobody at my school does
this.

We added a Cymphonix box in August for bandwidth management and
filtering. It has been very easy to use. I have only had six requests
to unblock a site that a teacher needed access to. Like most filters,
it is not perfect. It does not do a great job with images. It does do
a good job with filter avoidance and porn sites.

I can use my Active Directory groups and create filtering and bandwidth
management by group. For example, my development group wants to use
Facebook, but the admin doesn't want any students accessing it. That is
easy to do with Cymphonix.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School