Thursday, May 27, 2010

Re: Cursive

As a former Palm user, I always thought that some great handwriting
instruction could have been embedded in a stylus-using tablet OS. I
think we've lost the opp now, though, so I will probably never learn
DeNealian.

But other than my scrawl of a signature, I haven't even pretended to
use cursive since 9th grade or so. I guess I think handwriting is a
good skill to have, with user option for style allowed early. I also
guess as I write this that choice means knowing printing and cursive.
Maybe I SHOULD have learned DeNealian.

Cheers--Peter Gow

from my iPhone


On May 27, 2010, at 5:45 PM, Libby Mueller <libby@ejmueller.com> wrote:

> Learning cursive can and should be, IMHO, be embedded into every
> 2nd, 3rd, 4th tool-user's day! A mere 15 minute daily practice time
> allows for the development of this basic and very necessary
> kinestheic graphic, fine motor skill. Developing the unique and
> individual "look" of my students' writing is equally as important as
> developing voice, content, organization, and style. I continue to
> teach cursive and keyboarding. There is plenty of time for both!
>
> -----Original Message-----,From: Renee Ramig
> [mailto:rramig@sevenhillsschool.org]
>
>
> Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 04:41 PM
> To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
> Subject: Cursive
>
> I always think about how much time my 2nd and 3rd (and even 4th)
> grade teachers spend teaching cursive versus teaching keyboarding.
> Now compare that to the number of students that will be using
> cursive versus the number of kids that will be typing on a computer.
> I personally think we should take the time used to teach cursive and
> spend it helping students learn to keyboard at the fastest and most
> accurate that they can. I too have not written in cursive during my
> adult lifetime. I type 99% of everything, and what I do write out is
> printed. I just looked at an essay test given to our seventh
> graders. Only one student out of 38 used cursive. I think there is a
> need to learn how to be able to handwrite something legibly, but
> printing is fine. Teachers constantly complain they do not have
> enough time in the day to teach everything they need. Take out the
> time spent on cursive and use it to teach something that will have a
> long term benefit to the students. Renee Ramig Seven Hills School
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874
> ] Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
> attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license. RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L
>
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874
> ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
> attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L