Friday, May 28, 2010

Re: ipads Lower School

Chris,

I hate to sound combative with you, but... :-)

So, it's the actual shape of the letters that teaches children to read?

If so, how do you explain Chinese, Arabic or Hebrew-speaking children =
learn to read?

I would love to know how teaching children to write in a different form =
than what they read is the best intervention for reading difficulties.

I suspect that this methodology is not without controversy - as is the =
case with dyslexia.
On May 27, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Bigenho, Chris wrote:

> Actually, cursive writing is one aspect of Sequential English =
Education (SEE), a therapy used with dyslexic students. It is a =
multi-sensory therapy that helps LD students with their reading, writing =
and spelling. Part of the theory behind this technique is to minimize =
the starting and stopping that occurs when printing and the disconnected =
motions made in typing. Students struggling with dyslexia can start with =
SEE therapy (including cursive writing) and as their over-all reading =
and spelling skills improve, will move from cursive writing to using a =
computer. SEE makes use of what they call a memory board where students =
will write with gross motor movements, in cursive with their finger on a =
large rough board. This is done at the same time as they are spelling =
and saying the word out loud. This multi-sensory process is powerful and =
works. Now, they may not have any fingerprints left after they have =
completed all of the training but they will be able to read :). This is =
one of the therapies used with my son at Shelton School in Dallas. While =
not an exciting process (I have tutored in SEE), it works. You will =
almost never see my son without a book now.