Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Re: supplementing TERC Investigations (K-5 mathematics)

This is a fairly common concern, usually rooted in insecurity on the =
part of teachers or parents.=20

However, with all due respect, the concern about "lagging behind =
teaching standard algorithms and math facts" is not a responsible quest =
for "balance," but an assault on student learning and mathematical =
thinking.

Numerous studies and researchers such as Constance Kamii demonstrate =
that when children are "taught" algorithms they are often deprived of =
actual mathematical understanding. The quest for speed is silly and =
potentially destructive. How fast is fast enough? Why does thinking and =
problem solving need to be quick?

Piaget teaches us that it is the teacher's job to create contexts in =
which children correct themselves from the inside. There is scarce =
evidence, if any at all, that drilling math facts or less constructivist =
approaches to math curricula and pedagogy are more successful than what =
your school is already doing.

I would suggest that your school have more patience and support teachers =
in using the TERC materials with greater confidence rather than =
undermine student learning.

Gary Stager, Ph.D.

https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]