Thursday, May 27, 2010

Re: ipads Lower School

Some thoughts after reading the many responses...

In 1984 I bought a Macintosh computer and dot matrix printer for $2500 to
use as a TOOL to create graphics for my silk-screened products I sold at
juried art shows. I discovered a process that used Xerox technology that
enabled you to burn a screen using a black and white drawing as a base. It
sure beat the heck out of cutting each stencil to adhere it to a screen. I
owned a business and was an artist.

I didn=92t really know that the machine could do word-processing nor did I
really know what that meant. But, when I was getting divorced, in 1988, an=
d
I needed money, I learned how to use MacWrite. I interviewed men dying of
asbestosis and then typed interrogatories for a New Jersey law firm engaged
in suing John-Manville.

That=92s where I started.

I have always viewed technology as a tool.

It is now 2010 and I still think pretty much the way I did in 1984.

The ipad is nothing more than another tool. It is not a computer or a lapto=
p
as we know them to have become. I wouldn=92t suggest using it to do
word-processing with or on---at least not at this time. At least not with
little kids.

My research into ipads involved a Sunday afternoon at the Apple Store where
I watched kids pick up the ipad and try it out. Many of the kids were just
about as tall as the table. They persevered and got the machines to work.
The tech knowledge of a 4 year old is pretty intense to see in action. Thei=
r
use of tech is fearless; their curiosity is daunting and determined.

I posted this query to get ideas about using ipads in the lower school. Fro=
m
what I have seen it can be used as a fabulous tool to reinforce skills
taught, going out to learn new things on the internet and creating small bu=
t
useful projects. I=92m interested to see what we can do here at Pingry and =
am
happy to collaborate with many of you folks who have expressed interest.


Tech educators should be leaders and willing to try new technologies. They
may not all work but we can't shut down or shut out new tools.

Oh, and one last thing=85it has been years since a physician has written ou=
t a
script on a pad of paper. My doctors tap on PDAs while they are talking
(while facing me---in the same room) and my scripts are submitted
electronically. Welcome to 2010.

Susan Ferris Rights

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L