Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Re: supplementing TERC Investigations (K-5 mathematics)

Hi Gary,

I posted the original message, and I couldn't agree more with what you
say. I worked for 5 years at a large education think-tank that supported
districts nationally as they implemented the TERC and other NSF-funded
curricula, I believe fully in the choice that TERC made to focus on
mathematical thinking rather than algorithmic thinking.

However, my question still stands, and I think it's a legitimate
perspective from which to inquire. Things aren't all-or-nothing in our
classrooms, and many good teachers with kids' mathematical thinking in
mind believe that a little more exercise in fluency might help
mathematical thinking, and help kids create meaning "from the inside." If
you find that confusing, I'd be happy to discuss more (perhaps offline?).

So ... If you're supplementing TERC, please don't hesitate to write. I
could use your help.

All best,
Terry