Thursday, May 27, 2010

Re: rationale for switching from PC to Mac when going 1:1

Bob,

We are not a 1:1 student school but Boston Public Schools gave every
teacher, guidance counselor, etc. a laptop two years ago and I was on
the committee that made the platform decision. One thing we struggled
with was that people were very split on which platform they wanted and
we needed to pick one or the other. Both camps were entrenched. Apple
worked with us to configure the hardware and software to include
Parallels. That broke the stalemate and, as the person in this school
who has to support the laptops, it has worked out great. The PC people
are happy with Parallels and the Mac people turn it off. Interestingly
we have had many people migrate to the Mac side and turn off Parallels
but no one go the other way. We provide both Mac and PC versions of
Office. The Mac laptops have been a terrific purchase. We have great
repair/reimage support from a local company and they have all held up
very well.=20

Cathy Meany
Boston Latin School