Thursday, May 27, 2010

Re: ISED/ Web Filtering for Students and Adults

We use Internet Guide from DynDNS. com for recursive DNS and basic DNS
filtering. It's $40 a year since we have several different IPs in different
CIDR blocks that we cover. Dyndns is also our authoritative DNS server for
our domain. (Open DNS provides similar capability.) I spend under a $100 a
year for everything DynDNS does for us.

Anybody who really knows what they are doing can get around services like
Internet Guide and Open DNS, but that takes premeditation. We only blocked
pornography, proxies, hacking, phishing, and virus sites. All of our
computers in our lower school are in places that are always supervised when
students are present.

Sure, we could get better protection on site--but at much higher cost and
more complexity.
--=20
Derrel Fincher
Director of Information and Communication Technology
Graded - The American School of S=E3o Paulo
http://www.graded.br | (55 11) 3747-4800 x160