Monday, May 3, 2010

Re: What Content Filtering Software do you use?

Pamela,

I've used Google Postini for email filtering. Everything is filtered in the
cloud. In general, very happy with it and the cost. There are competitors
that might have an edge -- have not looked recently. Has lots of
flexibility, which I like as an admin.

We use Fortinet for filtering, gateway antivirus, intrusion protection,
firewall. Reporting is OK, but not fantastic. Does a decent all-around job
of controlling traffic and stopping access to inappropriate sites. They are
very fast to update their database. LightspeedSystems has fantastic
filtering and reporting features. More reports than you can possibly
imagine. Some highlights: "suspicious search engine queries" report -- very
helpful. I've only heard great news about Lightspeed and they are
specifically designed for k-12 schools. I had an in-house demo for about 2
months.

The current trend in "next-generation firewalls" is to use application
control to determine what users can access. So, for example, you can allow
Youtube, but only up to a certain percentage of bandwidth. Palo Alto
Networks is apparently the leader in this area. Other vendors are just
catching up now.

Best,

Bill Perpelitt
Technology Director