Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Re: ipads Lower School

I'm about to purchase a whole bunch for the 5th grade as a "one-to-one" typ=
thing. I'm assuming it is going to be very similar to an iPod Touch.

Here is a few things that were noted....
- 36 Macbooks =3D too expensive
- Netbooks seemed regressive because the 4th grade uses Macbooks
- Each child in the 5th grade can word process
- No virus or spyware issues

Here is an excerpt of an explanation from the 5th grade teachers:

Once the idea of the ipads was introduced, I think that Baxter was excited
about the technological leap that the fifth grade would take in launching
the first one-to-one classroom set of ipads within the Syracuse area.
Additionally, we felt that the ipad would offer =B3Mac=B2
advantages/software/applications that would not come with a Netbook. The
ipad feels like it has a great deal to offer to our classroom needs while
still falling within a manageable budget.

Beyond solely using the ipads for word processing, we plan to incorporate
them into our daily lessons and activities via internet research, learning
software, map skills, mathematical games, music, educational podcasts, etc.

Sarah and I have absolutely given this option a tremendous amount of though=
and we feel that the ipads will be a positive, innovative, and creative
addition to both bolster and enhance our fifth grade curriculum.

I had a lot of questions about the workflow with the iPad. As long as the
5th grade teachers are excited and are savvy with technology, I am willing
to support their foray into the new "tablet" arena.

As to the workflow of the whole situation, you might want to ask again in
the fall when I know more. :-)

Brian Lee
Manlius Pebble Hill School