Thursday, May 27, 2010

Re: ipads Lower School

And when the power is out?

Len=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary S. Stager <district@stager.org>
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Sent: Thu, May 27, 2010 4:53 pm
Subject: Re: ipads Lower School

I'm not as optimistic that we will stop teaching cursive handwriting. Ther=
e has=20
een little reason to do so for generations and the handwriting industry ke=
eps=20
evising new curricula and ways to make an S.
As for keyboarding instruction, I suggest you take a look at this study:
http://stager.org/keyboarding.html
I'm nearly a half-century old and I've had a typewriter or computer my ent=
ire=20
ife.

n May 27, 2010, at 1:44 PM, Keith E Gatling wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Gary S. Stager <district@stager.org> wr=
ote:
=20
> WIth all due respect, that is remarkable nonsense.
>=20
> First of all, MDs have bad handwriting. Second-of-all, that is surely a
> task that can be better automated or typed. In fact, I suspect that most
> hospital prescriptions are generated and communicated digitally.
>=20
=20
Hospital maybe. But the last time I went to my doctors in their offices,
they wrote out the prescriptions for both my meds and my eyeglasses on th=
spot on a pad of paper that they had on them. It may have been low-tech,=
but
it was definitely quicker than having to go to another room to type it in=
,
and then wait for the printout.
=20
I think that cursive will slowly die out of its own, and one day we won't
even notice that no one's teaching it anymore, just like one day it happe=
ned
that no one was using horse and buggies, or no one was broadcasting in bl=
ack
and white. It'll just happen with very little fanfare when the time is
right.
=20
On the other end of the spectrum, I've got people asking why I insist on
still teaching keyboarding, since "everyone knows" that in five years peo=
ple
will either be dictating into their computers anyway, or people will be
typing with their thumbs on the smartphones.
=20
I can't tell you how long I've heard that one. But again, that will go aw=
ay
slowly on its own, and no one will notice. But for now, the most efficien=
way of entering and editing MASS amounts of text is with a keyboard.
=20
And yes, I know that at some point the info gets typed into the provider'=
system, but still, sometimes low-tech is the way to go.
> On a personal note, I have not used cursive handwriting in any way shape=
or
> form since the 8th grade. I can't write all of the letters in my wife's=
name
> in cursive font and could care less.
>=20
=20
Pretty much the same here. I only use cursive to sign my name.
=20
But remember that cursive was once faster than printing...something
important in an age where the typewriter didn't exist.
keg
=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Keith E Gatling
Email: keith@gatling.us
Blog: wordfromg.blogspot.com
Website: www.gatling.us/keith
The fact that I'm open-minded doesn't mean that I have to agree with you.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=20
[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
=20
on-commercial, share-alike license.
SS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L