Friday, May 28, 2010

Re: ipads Lower School

Nicely said, Susan...

The iPad may someday, even perhaps soon, be an amazing learning =
laboratory for kids. It's just not there yet.

The diminutive term, "app," suggests something quick or small. I want =
kids lost in meaningful creation.

By the way...

iCal has been hosed ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard. As a result, =
iPad refused to sync.

I tried everything, including every tool and web site I could find.

I finally solved the problem by writing a Logo program in MicroWorlds! =
No kidding!
...
It would be swell if we taught kids how to have agency over their =
computing devices. Being able to write a little code is quite important =
and powerful.

On May 27, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Susan Ferris wrote:

> Some thoughts after reading the many responses...
>=20
>=20
>=20
> In 1984 I bought a Macintosh computer and dot matrix printer for $2500 =
to
> use as a TOOL to create graphics for my silk-screened products I sold =
at
> juried art shows. I discovered a process that used Xerox technology =
that
> enabled you to burn a screen using a black and white drawing as a =
base. It
> sure beat the heck out of cutting each stencil to adhere it to a =
screen. I
> owned a business and was an artist.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I didn=92t really know that the machine could do word-processing nor =
did I
> really know what that meant. But, when I was getting divorced, in =
1988, and
> I needed money, I learned how to use MacWrite. I interviewed men =
dying of
> asbestosis and then typed interrogatories for a New Jersey law firm =
engaged
> in suing John-Manville.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> That=92s where I started.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I have always viewed technology as a tool.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> It is now 2010 and I still think pretty much the way I did in 1984.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> The ipad is nothing more than another tool. It is not a computer or a =
laptop
> as we know them to have become. I wouldn=92t suggest using it to do
> word-processing with or on---at least not at this time. At least not =
with
> little kids.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> My research into ipads involved a Sunday afternoon at the Apple Store =
where
> I watched kids pick up the ipad and try it out. Many of the kids were =
just
> about as tall as the table. They persevered and got the machines to =
work.
> The tech knowledge of a 4 year old is pretty intense to see in action. =
Their
> use of tech is fearless; their curiosity is daunting and determined.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I posted this query to get ideas about using ipads in the lower =
school. From
> what I have seen it can be used as a fabulous tool to reinforce skills
> taught, going out to learn new things on the internet and creating =
small but
> useful projects. I=92m interested to see what we can do here at Pingry =
and am
> happy to collaborate with many of you folks who have expressed =
interest.
>=20
>=20
> Tech educators should be leaders and willing to try new technologies. =
They
> may not all work but we can't shut down or shut out new tools.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Oh, and one last thing=85it has been years since a physician has =
written out a
> script on a pad of paper. My doctors tap on PDAs while they are =
talking
> (while facing me---in the same room) and my scripts are submitted
> electronically. Welcome to 2010.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Susan Ferris Rights
>=20
> [ For info on ISED-L see =
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =
attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L