Thursday, May 27, 2010

Re: supplementing TERC Investigations (K-5 mathematics)

Terry,

Supporting teachers is one thing. Pandering to their superstitions or =
inadequacies is quite another.

You need to tread carefully here because you can undermine students' =
understanding when the "supplement" becomes the main course or adds =
confusion about curricular values, or approaches.

I honestly can't figure out what is missing from the Investigations (or =
Everyday Math) series that needs to be supplemented. I do appreciate =
that it doesn't look like the "Walk Behind Math" some parents expect and =
has been the political target of crackpots, like Mathematically Correct.

That said, I appreciate that you're in a quandary.=20

Therefore, I suggest books by Marilyn Burns and some of the others =
listed in the following two links from the Constructivist Consortium =
Book Store:

=
http://astore.amazon.com/constructivistconsortium-20?_encoding=3DUTF8&node=
=3D19

=
http://astore.amazon.com/constructivistconsortium-20?_encoding=3DUTF8&node=
=3D37

I hope this helps,

Gary

On May 26, 2010, at 4:54 AM, Terry Dash wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>=20
> I posted the original message, and I couldn't agree more with what you
> say. I worked for 5 years at a large education think-tank that =
supported
> districts nationally as they implemented the TERC and other NSF-funded
> curricula, I believe fully in the choice that TERC made to focus on
> mathematical thinking rather than algorithmic thinking.
>=20
> However, my question still stands, and I think it's a legitimate
> perspective from which to inquire. Things aren't all-or-nothing in our
> classrooms, and many good teachers with kids' mathematical thinking in
> mind believe that a little more exercise in fluency might help
> mathematical thinking, and help kids create meaning "from the inside." =
If