Thursday, May 27, 2010

Re: ipads Lower School

The Technology Director at my previous school (Peter Hoopes, St.
Andrew's School, Middletown, DE) introduced me to something that he
called the Golden Rule of Educational Technology: educational technology
should make education more efficient, more effective, or both. If
something doesn't do at least one of the two, then you should think
twice about adopting it.

I've applied this rule at my current school with some fairly good
results. Of course, the meaning of the terms "more efficient" and "more
effective" area open to discussion and debate, but in general, it's
helped me and my colleagues avoid the pressures of buying the
newest/coolest/brightest/shiniest tech simply because it's there.

Many thanks,
Dave Wang
The Bay School of San Francisco