Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Re: Portal Introduction to Parents

Hi -

We implemented a parent portal last fall, about 2 months into the school
year. Here's what we did:

* Ahead of time, we established a committee that included 3 parents, the
registrar, the assistant to the head of school, the director of
communications, and myself (director of technology). We tested the portal,
identifying the kinks/areas of potential confusion as well as the features
we thought parents would love.

* We included announcements of the portal in all our summer mailings
(snail mail), mentioning the things we thought parents would love (just
brief announcements highlighting the good stuff).

* Because we launched in November, I had the benefit of being able to
address parents at parent nights, face-to-face. I took 3 minutes to tell
them the portal was coming and to highlight its benefits.

* We sent 3 blast emails -- one email 2 weeks before launch, another 1
week before launch, and a final email the day before launch. Each email
contained a link to a very brief online movie that was a "teaser" for a
particularly useful feature of the portal.

* On the day of the launch, we sent login credentials to each parent.

* Starting 2 weeks after launch, we offered 3 "in person," one-hour
sessions where parents could come if they were confused to get
face-to-face help.

* We created a Web site that you can look at:
http://www.pikeschool.org/home/parents/portalTOC
When we launched, there were just 3 links: User Guides, Frequently-Asked
Questions, and System Requirements.

All in all, the launch went very smoothly. I think that for the most part
parents were really happy to have the convenience of online access to the
school directory, their kids' schedules, and grade reports.

Good luck!
Terry

. . .
Terry Dash