Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cursive

I always think about how much time my 2nd and 3rd (and even 4th) grade
teachers spend teaching cursive versus teaching keyboarding. Now
compare that to the number of students that will be using cursive versus
the number of kids that will be typing on a computer. =20

I personally think we should take the time used to teach cursive and
spend it helping students learn to keyboard at the fastest and most
accurate that they can. =20

I too have not written in cursive during my adult lifetime. I type 99%
of everything, and what I do write out is printed. I just looked at an
essay test given to our seventh graders. Only one student out of 38
used cursive.=20

I think there is a need to learn how to be able to handwrite something
legibly, but printing is fine. Teachers constantly complain they do not
have enough time in the day to teach everything they need. Take out the
time spent on cursive and use it to teach something that will have a
long term benefit to the students.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L