Monday, October 4, 2010

Re: PC Laptops

I can't help but add my two cents and would vote for Lenovo as
well. I've always had great customer support (Dell has had a horrible
reputation and may still have as evidenced by a recent article in the New
York Times). But the features that I really like the best about the
ThinkPads are:

-- they have great, downloadable hardware manuals that (if you are not
adverse to tinkering with hardware) are excellent guides to replacing just
about every part -- disk drives, memory, keyboards, etc. Parts that are
easily field replaceable (FRU) are clearly marked. This feature alone
greatly reduces down time -- order the parts, they arrive overnight, and
thirty minutes or so later your user has his laptop again.

-- they are expandable via their docks with extra disk drives, etc.

-- a very good website for support in terms of drivers, manuals, etc.

Too bad you need a laptop with a dock because in my opinion the MacBook Pros
are great. Thanks to iFixit taking a MacBook apart and putting it back
together again is not that hard.

And I always prefer to max out memory (though memory chips are usually
cheaper from third-party vendors) and disk storage being sure to order the
fastest spindle speed available on the disk drive.

Regards,
Danton Chin
Former nine year Board of Education member
Founding chair of the Technology Committee
iOS Developer, author, and speaker