Thursday, October 28, 2010

Re: ISED Language Lab or Not

Hi Joan -

We, too, are thinking about the long-range future for our language lab,
which is currently runs Sanako software on hard-wired PCs. Like your school,
we are a mixed-platform 1-1, and pondering the role of handhelds like the
iPod touch in language instruction.

Mixed into this is ambivalence among some faculty about the hold that the
APs have over many of our courses, not just in language, and the cost of
maintaining a dedicated lab at least in part, to support the APs.

It seems to me (personal, not institutional opinion) that dedicated language
labs are becoming relics of a past that is less relevant to the type of
teaching we're trying to move towards. I identified language labs as one of
twenty technologies that will be obsolete in ten years (
taffee.edublogs.org/2010/01/05/obsolete-technologies/) and I recall a
firestorm of emails on the topic on the Language Learning and Technology
Listserv about the topic. As you might imagine, those who manage language
labs in universities are not happy to consider a future without such labs.

But when entering a building phases I think you would do well to think
seriously about both the future of the lab as well as the future of language
curriculum. Hopefully, curriculum design and instruction drives
architectural decisions.

While I have not used this service, being put-off by the price, I would take
a look at Webswami <http://www.webswami.com/> as an online tool to be used
with language instruction. There are also language and recording modules
within Moodle, if you are open to a non-Blackboard solution.

Interesting topic. I look forward to reading more responses.

-----
Steve Taffee | Director of Strategic Projects
Castilleja School | staffee@castilleja.org
1310 Bryant Street | www.castilleja.org
Palo Alto, CA 94301 | taffee.edublogs.org
650.924.1040 (Google Voice)
Women Learning, Women Leading
<http://twitter.com/sjtaffee> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevetaffee>
You don't *really* need to print this do you?