Monday, October 25, 2010

Re: Wondering what others think of the information in this interview?

Fred, Peter, et al.

It seems to me that many Independent Schools do, in fact wish to engage in
this issue but may be hamstrung by old models of "helping." In the case of
enormous economic disparities, and the inescapable fact that many of us
teach in privileged schools, there's plenty of guilt for us to deal with.
Guilt can be immobilizing, and lead to arms-length, intellectualized

Where we can gain traction, in my view, is to adopt more of a stance based
on solidarity. The SEED diversity program that some schools use is a useful
means of engaging faculty and staff in discussion and action plans
surrounding social and economic injustice.

It takes fairly mature thinking (I'm thinking of Kohlberg's levels of moral
development) for students to engage in discussions of justice and fairness
without assuming undue guilt, misassignment of blame, and so on.

-----
Steve Taffee | Director of Strategic Projects
Castilleja School | staffee@castilleja.org
1310 Bryant Street | www.castilleja.org
Palo Alto, CA 94301 | taffee.edublogs.org
650.924.1040 (Google Voice)
Women Learning, Women Leading
<http://twitter.com/sjtaffee> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevetaffee>
You don't *really* need to print this do you?