Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Re: Schedules: priorities & challenges

We have an Upper School schedule here for which I can claim no credit, but
that I have already touted to others as outstanding. We are JK-12, one
cafeteria. Two gyms, but only sort of.

There's a 10 day rotation (really a 5 day for cross divisional planning
purposes). US students take 6 classes, no study halls. On the days with
"short" classes (55 min), one department drops their classes for
professional development, planning, etc. Kids have that period to get extr=
help, study, read, catch up, etc.

On the days with long classes, no one drops.

The advisory curriculum is deep and rich.

The classes rotate in the am/pm blocks to accommodate teachers who are
across divisions.

I have a week of our student planner which might help you visualize what al=
this is like in action. I attached it to the email, but it got
rejected. I'll post it on
ISENET.<http://isenet.ning.com/profiles/blogs/schedule-sharing>

Sarah Hanawald
Dean of Academic Affairs